Monday, August 13, 2007

Less than ideal examples of life goals

There are some very interesting web sites out there dealing with setting life goals and life after 50 in general. One that I came across in my searches was http://www.eons.com/ which uses the catch phrase “Lovin’ life on the flip side of 50". Overall it seems to be a nice site, but one thing caught my eye. People can submit their life goals and dreams, then the web site tabulates the 100 most popular ones. When I first saw this, I thought "great, this should give me some really good ideas for setting my own life goals." However, here is a list of their top 20:

1. Lose weight
2. write a book
3. stay healthy
4. exercise more
5. Become debt free
6. Take a cruise
7. Go to Hawaii
8. Retire
9. Travel to Europe
10. Pay off my mortgage
11. Travel in Italy
12. Learn Spanish
13. Go to Alaska
14. Visit Australia
15. volunteer
16. Be financially secure
17. Take an Alaskan Cruise
18. See the Grand Canyon
19. Get a college degree
20. Make new friends.

Does it occur to you that many of these goals are rather superficial?

Write a book (#2), and volunteer (#15) – OK, these seem admirable to me as ways you can indirectly or directly help others. Lose weight (#1), stay healthy (#3) seem to be more examples of good habits than important accomplishments.

The rest, which seem to be dominated by travel, are nothing more than expensive vacations. If you sit down and list what you most want to accomplish in life, and visiting a popular vacation destination pops up to the top of that list, then I think it’s time to do a little soul searching about what’s really important to you. I once heard that nobody wants to die and have the epitaph on their grave stone read "He took exotic vacations".

More on some better web sites I found in the next append.

3 comments:

Mark Reed said...

It's not just this site that is posting superficial life goals. I've been searching for some meaningful goals and what you've pointed out seems to be the norm. Wish I could provide a link to a site that provides meaningful life goals.

Unknown said...

That's quite some list.

I'd like to recommand a goal setting tool at http://www.GoalsOnTrack.com, a very nicely built web app designed for tracking goals and todo lists, and supports time tracking too. It's clear, focused, easy to navigate, worth a try.

Anonymous said...

With that experience, you have a better chance in landing a permanent
job in a bigger hospital. It is important to understand all
of the different elements that go into interviewing for
a massage position, and know which questions to ask before
you get hired. People are becoming conscious of staying physically fit; also leniency
in reimbursement restriction is resulting in services being available
to more people.
Also visit my webpage ; signs of bipolar depression in women