Monday, October 1, 2007

In Appreciation of Gratitude

My brother's wife just succumbed to a long struggle with cancer. When it became clear that she was in her final hours, my brother stayed at her side in the hospital room all night waiting for the end. I went to bed that evening aware of what was happening, and expecting to get a phone call in the morning saying that it was all over (which we did). As my wife joined me in bed and fell asleep, I couldn't help but thinking of my brother waiting in the hospital room. What would he give to be home in his bed, with his wife sleeping next to him in good health? He would probably gladly give every material possession he had, along with any other financial resources he had saved up. I would undoubtedly do the same in a similar situation. It was a strange night.

According to classical market economics, the value of something can be determined by what people are willing to pay for it. I now have a hard, rational, economical calculation which clearly shows that sharing my life with my wife has a greater value than the grand total of all the other economic wealth I have accumulated throughout my entire life. The experience drove home of the importance of taking time to appreciate the enormously valuable things we get to experience in our lives on a routine daily basis. Maintaining a sense of gratitude sure helps you to keep things in perspective, and to appreciate all the joys in your life more.

No comments: