Saturday, October 13, 2007

"Wow, what a ride!" and other quotes

Three quotes to think about today.
"Do one thing every day that scares you." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out and proclaiming. "Wow, what a ride!" - author unknown but sometimes attributed to motorcycle racer Bill McKenna.

Attending two funerals in one week recently made me think about what I will have accomplished when my time is up. Sometimes I think I have decades to go, but I also know that things can change in an instant. Time is not something to continuously waste (though regular relaxation and rejuvenation is needed). I've been on a short hiatus from focusing on goals lately due to other pressing events, but I think I need to figure out what I can do tomorrow that's scary.

To help remind yourself that every day is precious, I want to include one final quote I recently heard from Nick Donofrio, an IBM executive.
I have two major thoughts every morning to start the day:
(1) Today I will make a difference
(2) Today I will do no harm


Thinking about what you did to make a difference today seems like a good way to reflect on each day as you slip into bed.

3 comments:

nancy oarneire graham said...

I like this quote from E. Roosevelt, which I think I first heard you reference about a year ago, Mike. I am trying it, maybe not every day. It's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I started thinking about the same kind of thing about 4 years ago, when I turned 38. Since then, I have started doing all those "things to do" that I listed when I was 13 years old. I have come alive and it feels so good!

I love your quotes. That is how I found your blog.

Enjoy life. This is not a dress rehersal. ;)

Wendy

Mike Ignatowski said...

Wow, you had enough wits around you at age 13 to start putting together a list of things you wanted to do in your life? I'm impressed. I wonder how much that list has changed over the years - how would it be different if you made such a list again today?

- Mike Ignatowski