Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Bye to Anger, Resentment, and Fear

Day #8 of the new world - next in an ongoing series of thoughts on how to make the Nov 4th election transformative on a personal level.

I recently had some discussions with family members who supported John McCain. I was surprised at the level of anger, resentment, sorrow, and perhaps even a little fear about the future that was sometimes expressed when talking about the election. While I don't share those feelings now, I can't be too critical of them because I've felt the very same emotions myself many times over the past 8 years. But I can see more clearly now what an unhealthy situation this is. Decisions that are motivated by anger, resentment or fear seldom turn out to be good decisions. Time to put that behind and move on.

I've decided to let go of any remaining anger at the Bush administration. I'd like to see the mistakes they made acknowledged and corrected, but I don't think we have enough time to be distracted by a focus on punishment and revenge given all the other pressing issues. And of course, there's absolutely no benefit to holding any resentment against McCain supporters, though I'm not sure I ever did at a personal level. Time to focus on win-win solutions and move forward.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’m only responding because this is your personal blog and I know you will look at this blog 4 years from now. Since I was one of the family members you talked with back in 2008, I thought I should contribute and ask you to remember: Were you really surprised by the “level” of anger, resentment, sorrow and fear of your family’s reaction? That’s a surprise. I don’t know how the conversations went with your wife’s family, so maybe it was their “level” of emotion that was surprising.

But from my perspective, I’m thinking the levels weren’t anything more than typical reactions.
The level of emotion in our (very practical) family seemed level-headed and appropriate.

Which ones are angry?
Maybe the one that makes over $250,000 and will have to share his wealth. You have to give him that one. I think people are generally angry (I used another word in our discussion) at anyone who tries to take something that was not rightfully theirs, and give it to someone else in the spirit of redistribution. Why would that surprise you?

Which ones have sorrow?
Maybe the ones who anticipate there is less hope of saving the 42 million babies that will not be allowed to live. Some people are sorrowful when life is taken. I understand that sorrow.
Why would that surprise you?

Which ones have fear? I’m pretty sure no one in our family “fears” the president. He is only one man in our very large government. I am not afraid of the man. I am afraid of those that hate.
Who had the surprising level of fear?

Resentment? I voted, so I don’t resent anything. Maybe I resent the media.
People will resent the higher taxes. People will resent the bigger government.
Why would that surprise you?

It is good to say goodbye to anger, resentment and fear from years past.
While it is perfectly normal (not surprising) to experience these emotions, it is of no value to harbor them. I guess this was really the topic of your blog, and they are true words of wisdom.

I also agree that it is very unhealthy for people to remain divided after an election as they did in 2000. I get that. I’m glad you get that. President Obama said it right when he said we are not the red states or the blue states…we are the United States.

Together we have been traveling a bumpy road. As it does every 4 years, the road comes to an end. Once again we had to decide to turn right or left. Both choices were to lead us in a different direction. Both roads will have twists, turns, bumps and unforeseen hazards. Some of us wanted to turn right. Others wanted to turn left. We read the signs. We looked at the maps. We calculated the tolls. We argued a bit. Everyone voted, and “left” it was. Not everyone is happy. But it is the road we will travel. Yeah, some will complain at every bump, every pot hole, and the cost in choosing that road. But that doesn’t mean people won’t continue to stay with the wagon, help with the load and pay for repairs as needed. We’ll even get out and push when we have to. One thing is for certain, in another 4 years, the road will come to another end. And we’ll do it all over again. Life goes on, Mike.

When you read this 4 years from now, happy 55th birthday :)
I’m sorry we couldn’t join you on your wagon of celebration back in 2008. Hopefully our country is safe, secure, prosperous and healthy in this year of 2012. Wishing us all no anger, no resentment, no fear in 2012.
I love you and have always learned a lot from you.

Side note: my word processor wants to change Obama to Osama when I spell check. I suspect that will be another change we can expect by 2012. Has anyone heard from Governor Palin recently?