Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Personal Uncertainty and Environmental Concern

I have always had a passionate interest in environmental issues and in climate change in particular. I personally arranged for the showing of Al Gore's “An Inconvenient Truth” to more than a dozen local educational and civic organizations over the years. It always bothered me a little to see the lack of interest in these issues among the lower income and minority segments of our community. The standard explanation was that when you have other pressing issues on your mind, long range environmental concerns get pushed aside. I've always wondered how accurate that explanation really was though.

Well I can now tell you from first hand experience that there is a lot of truth to it. During the one month period between learning that my job was in jeopardy and finally being laid off, my interest in environmental issues essentially completely disappeared. Listening to my old friends in the environmental movement continue to discuss climate change issues began to seem as relevant as listening to a group of people discussing the status of public education in central Africa. Intellectually I new that it was an important topic, but emotionally it seemed like an increasingly esoteric subject of little relevance to my immediate and pressing problems.

It was very interesting to observe such an extreme swing in my attitudes when I stepped back at looked at it as a detached observer. To tell the truth, I felt a little embarrassed about it too. I let short term personal concerns override what I knew were long term vital public issues. The important observation seems to be that it's difficult for people to show an emotional concern for our long term public security and well being when they're facing a great deal of uncertainty in their own personal lives. Keeping a focus on our longer term interests will be both a public and a private challenge as we live through this period of economic uncertainty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog and feel like I know you in some small way. I am sorry about the loss of your job, but very impressed by the with the way that you are working through it.

For the last few days, I have been meaning to post the name of a book that you might find interesting. It is called Encore by Marc Freedman. The subtitle is Finding Work that Matters in the Second Half of Life. I hope that you find it helpful. You only go around once in life .... here is your unexpected opportunity. Good Luck!

Mike Ignatowski said...

Thanks for your kind words of support. I read Encore once a while ago, but I think it's time to review it again in light of recent events.

I really expected that I would be able to write more often here given that I'm supposed to have more free time. I'm surprised (though I shouldn't be) at how quickly that time fills up with family activities and job searches.