Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Morning Affirmations

One interesting practice that I've heard recommended by several people is the daily morning affirmation. The idea is to chose one for you, then say it in your mind and give it some brief though when you first wake up in the morning. Ideally, before you get out of bed, or even open your eyes. Let it put you in the right frame of mind for the day and remind you how you want to live out this day. I'm still working on mine, occasionally adjusting it, but here's what I try to remember each morning on awaking.


I will let myself be guided by compassion, respect, and a sense of gratitude today.
I find that this can actually begin to make a difference if you make a conscious effort to keep it in mind when you make those quick little decision on how to act and respond to people.

Others have suggested that you wake each morning and try to envision a what a better world would be like. I find that takes a little too much mental effort early in the morning when I'm not fully awake yet, but maybe it's something to practice at some point.

2 comments:

juffie said...

I like your affirmation and believe that it can/will make a difference -- because it is about something you can choose to do.

The fallacy of the morning affirmation movement as often presented, however, can be seen in all those sad American Idol contestants who don't make the cut. Almost all of them say "I WILL be the next American Idol" and you just know they've been saying that in front of their mirror for months, even years, on end, believing it will somehow make it happen.

Mike Ignatowski said...

juffie touches on a good point. Some people use what is called "magical thinking". This is when you believe that wishing for something will make it come true, without bothering to actually try to work for it.

Some people actually make a New Year's resolution to win the lottery. A much more useful one would be something like "stop wasting money on compulsive purchases, and invest the money I saved in some intelligent way instead."