Sunday, September 2, 2007

Success with MITs

I've been trying to write down ~3 MITs (Most Important Tasks) for the day each morning for about 3 weeks now. Here's my success rate at actually accomplishing them so far:

1st week: 63%
2nd week: 64%
3rd week: 82%

This takes some practice, but it's beginning to pay off more. Some lessons learned so far on setting MITs for the day:

  1. Be realistic. There are occasions when spending time with the family or with friends is the most important thing you can do that day.
  2. Focus on truly important tasks for the long run. Less important daily to-do items belong on another list. I caught myself listing responses to a fairly routine email as an MIT, ugh.
  3. Be flexible. Sometimes there are good reasons to modify or remove items, or replace them with others during the day when something comes up. Just be honest with yourself when you do this.
  4. Keeping score each day for fun actually helps. I found myself staying up late just to complete a task and get a perfect score for the day (i.e. completing all my MITs)

This should be obvious, but to get the maximum benefit out of this, spending enough time choosing the right tasks can sometimes be the most important task of the day.

No comments: